I have been a customer of Discount Tire about 20 years. I had the worse Discount Tire experience ever.

Apparently it is Discount Tire policy to only install new tires on the rear of a vehicle regardless of your customer's wishes. It was thoroughly explained to me about the safety reasons for this policy but I have good reason for placing the new tires on the front of my vehicle. While I welcome your employees advice, in the end it is my decision if I choose to heed the advice.

I went in to the store to replace my 2 back tires and have the new tires installed on the front and the 2 good tires currently on the front rotated to the back.

Discount Tire refused to install new tires on the front of my vehicle and I should have left then but instead he spent 15 to 20 minutes trying to convince me to change my mind. Finally, he offered to replace all 4 and I wouldn't have to pay for the forth tire and I reluctantly agreed if he would take my best tire and mount it on my spare wheel.

It is a decision that I now regret. That was a lot more expense than I was prepared for and the 2 tires I had on the front were still in good condition and did not warrant replacement.

That should have been the end of the bad experience but when my vehicle was ready I checked the spare and it was the same tire I had on there when I went in. I questioned the employee about it, and it seems he placed the used tire in the back of my vehicle without mounting it. I assume he was hoping I wouldn't notice it until I got home.

I have used Discount Tire for all my tire needs because I felt I was treated fairly in the past. I feel this policy is not about safety and more about selling tires. Most vehicles are front wheel drive and that is where the most wear is. I want my best tire there despite the concern of those that sell tires. Besides it is my decision where I want my new tire mounted. After my last experience I think something has changed in the mindset of Discount Tires management. I can get this kind of hassle anywhere. I don't need from them. If this is their policy then I need to buy my tires elsewhere.

Review about: Discount Tire Replacement.

Comments

Seal Beach, California, United States #888584

I've had the same experience, minus mounting the spare. Virtually every article I find says to mount the new tires on the back, but anyone that has driven both front wheel drive and rear wheel drive know that both cars handle completely differently when they skid or hydroplane.

A front wheel car will go straight and you lose steering. A rear wheel car will lose drive, but you retain steering ability.

One point about all those articles I have read. They are all by tire distributors, manufacturers, or dealers.

They stand to increase their sales by putting worn tires on the front in a market where 80% of all cars are front wheel drive. And, yes, companies will put profit in front of safety and the law, it happens every single day.

And, one point to remember is that when you have half tread tires on the front and full tread tires on the back, in 5,000 miles, you will be putting even less tread on the back when the tires are rotated. So, if this idea that front wheel cars have the back end sliding out when going around wet turns (which has never happened to me), what's it going to be like after the rotation?

Whether front or rear wheel drive, you need to have the best traction at the power to allow you to: 1.

Get traction back. 2.

To apply power back to the road to pull yourself out of the skid. End of story.

Richardson, Texas, United States #815924

Why do you think Michelin chose to do the study in the first place? Probably because they are sick of getting sued for a tire blowing causing an accident.

In the study they found it is safer to put the new tires in the back. Do you think Michelin is going to "RIG" a study to make a profit????

I am sure that would look real good in court.

Discount Tire is not going to put the new tires on the front because if they do and you are driving down the freeway and your tire blows or you get into an accident they could end up getting sued.

to Trojans Derby, Kansas, United States #1233349

Holy facepalm

Lol naw man. A corporation would never rig study results to increase profit at the cost of customer safety...

Tobacco industry on lung cancer

Oil companies on climate change

CFC producers on ozone damage

Power plants on acid rain Sugar industry on obesity and macromolecule ratios Big agriculture on glyphosate carcinogenicity I could seriously go on all day.

But I have things to do.

If you let discount tire decide where your tires go

Why not let walmart tell you what groceries you can eat

and the government tell you whe to stand up and when to sit down

*** take the tea back out of the boston harbour and call the brits and tell them to come on back and make up some more rules for us

this should be a recommendation, not a policy

I don't rotate as often as I should so I wore out the left front

main drive wheel other tires are good, Goodyear recommended that I put the new on the rear, but its my car so they said they would put them were ever I wanted them. goodbye

Discount tire I was a loyal customer

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #589609

The fact is,front tires pick up more nails,screws ect.By forcing you to put new tires with warranties on back then when you get a screw in front (it has swept debris out of warrantied tires way).then they say can't fix front, too little tread,so now when you can't afford you are buying 2 more tires and they are protcting tire"certs" you paid for to replace new tires you paid for.I have runflats and was told "blowout in rear would cause oversteer.Sure RUNFLATS never collapse. I also live in desert where it rains 35 days a year.so hydoplaning is not happening often.The "TESTS" they refer do are horsepoo and they wont talk about other testing.I hate Discount Tire and any business that tells me what to do.

to chuck #614517

Chuck,

Just so you know the most common flat tire on any vehicle is the Passenger Rear. The reason for this is because most roads are sloped to allow water to flow off and prevent puddles. Therefore, when the car is in the right lane its most common for the Passenger Front tire to kick something up thats been washed to the side and allow the passenger rear to run it over.

Make sense my friend?

As for the New Tire on Rear issue thats going on here people need to realize that times are changing. My guess is if you have been buying tires from DTC for twenty years you are old enough to have driven on bias ply tires at some point too. I don't know if you have noticed our not but everything that your buying for your vehicles are Radial ply. Second, how many of you all can really control your back tires when the hydroplane?? Therefore, the reason that the TIRE INDUSTRY is making the switch to mount the two new tires on the rear isn't because they want to make more money...they will make plenty anyways because everyone needs tires. The industry is changing because its truly safer. You can't be a very successful business if you don't have customers and if a company is willing to not sell tires due to a safety concern that should get your attention. So when your older(more worn) tires are on the front and the lose traction you can actually help them stay the course and the new tires on the back take care of themselves.

Side note to all of this if your so concerned about the other tires that are staying on the car is there a reason that your not buying four?? After all every car maker recommends buying four tires at a time. I know your concerned because your in the desert which is a valid point but when was the last time that you went to the doctor, told him what was wrong, and told him how he was going to fix it??? Oh and runflats do collapse, they are only designed to last 50 miles its just that runflats make the hole blowout process more difficult.

I hope I have been some help to you all.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #589299

People are missing the point here. The customer was told they wouldn't mount the new tires in the front, which is not their policy.

That's a blatant lie to say they can't mount them in the front.

New tires in the back is safer, but discount tire needs to put them where ever the customer wants them and note that on the receipt or customer log for legal purposes. Its as simple as that.

to Yoko Lone Tree, Colorado, United States #648446

Thanks... I thought there was no intelligent life, left on the planet.

If I won't the tires on the front, I'LL PAY AND YOU PUT them their.

This is a tire...... not plutonium

You sir are an idoit. First you said it yourself, 20yrs and they have always been good now you dont trust them.

Do your homework before making *** comments. ALL tire manufactors are all saying new tires should be mounted on the rear, its not a Discount Tire thing.

Its a way to keep you safe, they gave you a free tire. Go to some of the other places, Firestone, NTB, Sams, they all have the same thing but they wont give you a free tire to help you.

New tires shiuld be on rear. Im a police officer and I have been involved in car chases that involved bumping the corner rear bumper of car in order to get car to lose control.

With a car with deeper tread on rear it is harder to do it. Then hot rods should put bigger tires on front and smaller on back.

Think for a second guys. U can also rotate tires once new ones on rear have wear on them

Totally done shopping at discount tire period... They are steady losing customers left and right and now for sure me and my large family of 17 and 22 grad kids.

I've done business with them for over 20+ years and NO More will I buy even so much as a lug but from them from now on. When you are a paying customer you have the right to request how you want something to a T. It will only be a test of time if more of us can stop shopping at discount until they reavaluate their policy's as the economy is getting tougher for big business to prevail and losing customers is not going to help them. As a business owner my self I can understand advising for the best and safest option in MY opinion but the customer has the final day knowing his options and what Discount Tire New Tire in the rear is suing is saying they don't want your business if your not going to do it their way so be ware..

It's for them more revenue more than safety. We all need to stand are ground and put a end to this abandonment of our rights as a paying customer and except the liability that follows..It's all about the money, and that money will be no more if their is plenty of customers like me...

to J tires from DC Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #585355

Putting two new tires on the rear is not about revenue. It is truly about safety.

Think about it - when small FWD cars end up in the ditch, it's usually in there backwards - because the rear tires lost traction first. This is much less likely to happen with the best tires on the rear. It prevents "oversteer". I understand that you're the customer and you think you should be able to do whatever you want, but safety is important.

You can buy a car, but you won't be able to tell the car company to remove the seat belts because you don't think they really save lives. Sometimes, safety takes precedence

to J tires from DC #588087

T your ***! Do your research before making a comment.

Customers like you need to go to a mom and pop place who dont know what they are talking about. Do you go to the Dr. and tell them how to do their job. If you have a broken arm, will you tell the Dr how to fix your problem?

Check with tire manufactors like Continetal, Michelin. Or talk to Sams who was sued from new tires onthe front.

Just had to say.. Tire Guru, Someone Who Knows, and A Competitor's Tire Employee, you three are idiots.

The scary thing is you actually think a company cares more about your safety than turning a profit. It's only a bonus that that those same "case studies" (surely unbiased, right?) failed to consider under-steer, hydroplaning, and the fact that because your nemisis: physics, the front will always wear faster than the rear (hence EVERY tire rotation results in putting the low tread on the back).

Calling fools out on being fools: all in a day's work.

Using logic and reasoning to take on case studies that take money from tire companies while neglecting to answer questions of physics, hydroplaning, and under-steer: PRICELESS

(PS if you really think a car is going to spin out with tires that are one rotation apart, then you're REALLY fooling yourself. You're THEORY of having the car spin out ONLY works if those rear tires are so low on tread that they can't resist a side to side velocity... I mean seriously... are you RACING to work every morning? Maybe cut back on the drifting and tail-gating and you won't have to worry about making a rear tire tread that is only 1/16 different from the front lose integrity on a hard turn. DUuuuhghhghh

to Sean Ford (again) Lone Tree, Colorado, United States #648777

Thank you for your comments Sean. This whole thing about recommending/requiring new tires on the back...

is a %$#@ing joke. Subjectively forcing safety issues on people without a case by case study is typical of the "Masses". " Persons are smart..... People are ***".

And I cannot believe that a corporation like Discount tire is not smart enough to Recommend new tire installation on the back (If their testing supports that) , and make available a signed waiver for anyone that wants the tires installed on the front.

I have made my last trip to Discount tire.... No Mas

I had the EXACT same problem with the 2 tires thing! I'm so glad to see I'm not alone. I will never shop Discount again. They are insulting, ignorant, and the agent I spoke with was clearly drunk on the kool-aide.

BTW the writer "Tire Guru" is a fool. I'm DISGUSTED by fools talking about "it's safer to put better tread on the rear". TWO REASONS:

1) It is IMPOSSIBLE to put the best tire on the rear every rotation, unless you buy new tires. Front wears faster, therefor, every time you go in for rotation they are rotating the (less tread) front to the rear. It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to always put the best tread on the rear. Are you that dumb?

2) Putting the best tread on rear may make you feel like you're Mr. Safety, but you failed to mention that it INCREASES the risk of hydroplaning and under-steer.

Consider the following... my 2 tires only had 7000k on them. Now by putting them on the front which typically incurs about 160% MORE wear, they will have about 15,000 miles wear compared to the NEW tires Discount FORCED me to put on the rear which will only have a true 5,000 miles. How safe is THAT?! 10k difference on tires?

It's a ploy tire companies embrace for 2 reasons: It causes faster tire wear on one pair. Hence, they don't have to offer discounts on 4 tires as frequently. And secondly, because it makes it more difficult to switch to a new company. 2 tires would be warrantied at one shop, and 2 tires on another. How convenient is that?

Finally, while consumers always appreciate education, it is ALWAYS their right to make the decision. Here's a great example, my wife, my children, and even my parents will learn from my experience and shop at the closest competitor from now on.

I'm the customer, and I'm always right!

Right until you slide across a freeway because you had to dodge some guy's muffler in the road, and find yourself facing the semi that was behind you. Then you're dead.

Deep tread on the rear. If you have a problem with that, learn how to properly take care of your tires. With the sole exception of road hazard damage (and staggered fitments) there is no reason to not wear down all four tires evenly.

Look it up its safer for the tirs to be put on the rear.If u dont like that then rotate them.A company isnt going to do something unsafe just because u tell them thats the way u want it.And its not only your safety its the safety of other people on the roads.

The Discount Tire policy is for all vehicles not just front wheel drive. From previous experience I had severe hydroplaning and loss of control when the front tires were worn and driving in wet conditions on a front wheel drive vehicle.

Next.

The tire salesperson's job is to inform the customer. Once that is done it is the customer's responsibility to make the decision.

No one would choose an unsafe option but a salesperson will very quickly choose the "safety option” that provides the greatest sales opportunity. “Keeping me safe” is the excuse for this policy not intent.

I'd suggest you change your title from "Tire Guru" to "Want to sell Tires Guru"